Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Succulent Love


On the heels of my trip to West Texas and the appreciation of natural desert beauty, I find myself yearning for a little piece of natural desert of my own, more specifically, the succulent variety.

Succulents seem to be available in all shapes and sizes, and these wonderfully hardy little plants simply exude earthiness, while ranging from cute to quirky.


Although the cool October mornings are a sure reminder that Fall is upon us, succulents are one of the most successful varieties of flora which thrive when kept indoors.



If their vast array of colors wasn't enough, their pocket size makes them a lovely addition to any table scape or compliment to some serious styling genius.



Wouldn't you just love to receive one of these as a gift?!  I'm positively smitten!

Succulents seem to be so accessible these days, my local grocer was so well stocked that a slew of succulents were on super markdown and I felt compelled to pick some up.  Unsure of what to do next, I of course referred to Pinterest for a bit of inspiration...


 

After research and marveling over these crush-worthy images, I'm excited to get started with a succulent garden of my own.









And who would think that succulents could be such a perfect option on your special day?  These examples absolutely depict the meaning of "eco chic!"






So while the pictures are enough to make any plant-lover giddy, lets get down to the nitty gritty, how do we ensure success with these adorable little plants?


Well the good news is succulents don’t really ask for much...If like me, you have a bad habit of forgetting to water your garden regularly, succulents won't hold it against you.

The key to success with succulents is to plant them in well-draining soil and place them squarely in a location with lots of good light. 

Make sure to give your succulents a good soak about once a week.  And remember that succulents store water in their leaves, so a good rule of thumb is the thicker the leaves, the less water required.

I don't know about you, but with these easy guidelines and such beautiful examples of plants, I feel so inspired to get started on my own succulent garden for fall!

Until next time.

xo,
Britt

2 comments:

  1. I adore succulents, and posted on them a few months ago after noticing them pop up again and again on Pinterest. I am so glad I did not have to plan a wedding in this day and age of Pinterest - there are SO many ideas out there!

    I bought some succulents from IKEA 2 years ago and they are still going strong. I neglect them, truth be told, and only occasionally water them, but just when I think they are beyond redemption, when I give them a bit of TLC they spring right back to life. My kind of plant!

    - Holly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holly! Thanks so much for your sweet comment, I'm still getting used to blogging schedule/updates, so I was thrilled to see you enjoyed the post, so sorry for the LONG delay in response, but I'm just noticing your comment. Love your blog--will definitely be a new follower!

    ReplyDelete